Picking a Worktop for the Shaker-Style Kitchen of Your Dreams
Shaker-style kitchens have become popular in the UK despite the design type first developing in the United States. This simplistic aesthetic is an excellent choice for any room in the house, but especially kitchens that are prone to clutter and disorganisation. At Prestige Granite & Marble, we’re happy to help customers create the perfect space, complete with Shaker kitchen worktops. Explore this sleek style and learn how to choose the ideal worktops.
What Is Shaker Style kitchen?
Shaker-style kitchens have their roots in nineteenth-century America. In the mid-1800s, a religious community known as the Shakers emerged in New England. But as industry and mass-produced goods were beginning to change the landscape of furniture products, the Shakers stayed true to their original craftsmanship and quality. Today, Shaker-style kitchens feature clean lines, functional design, simple patterns, and an overall no-frills approach to décor.
You Aren’t Limited in Your Colour Options
While a Shaker-style kitchen is known for its simplicity, that doesn’t mean you can only use white and grey to decorate your space. Certainly, white Shaker kitchens are popular, but you can also choose from an array of other accent colours, including:
- Wood tones
Finding High-Quality Cabinetry
Cabinetry is a staple of any Shaker design. Shaker cabinets are well known for their beautiful craftsmanship and exceptional quality. This type of cabinetry is very customisable and comes in a variety of woods and finishes. Find the right material for your space:
- Pine: Take a rustic approach to your kitchen design with pine. This wood is among the most inexpensive options and offers a range of stain colours.
- Maple: Maple is popular in all kinds of kitchens for a reason. It’s easy to paint and stain and won’t chip easily.
- Oak: Oak is another affordable option, but unlike pine, it offers an extra bit of durability. This wood withstands staining and painting.
- Cherry: While cherry wood is more expensive than other materials, it’s more durable and provides warm, rich tones to contrast with light-coloured walls.
What Kind of Hardware Will Work Well?
The details are a big deal when it comes to simple design. Homeowners designing a white or grey Shaker kitchen should make sure not to forget about the hardware. We recommend choosing classic knobs with brushed nickel or brass finishes. These design elements will complement the elegant yet Old-World feel of many Shaker kitchens.
The Right Lighting Is Essential
Every space benefits from the right lighting. If you love natural lighting, be sure to create a layout that doesn’t block windows. If you prefer the dim glow of bulbs, consider adding special lighting fixtures. Products like task lighting, ambient lighting, and decorative lighting may find a home in your Shaker kitchen.
Choose a Stunning Quartz Worktop
Finding a Shaker-style kitchen worktop is often the hardest part of the design process. Fortunately, Prestige Granite & Marble has the ideal slab for you. We suggest installing quartz worktops to complement the minimalistic Shaker design. These worktops come in an array of colours, many of which reflect the light and make the kitchen appear bigger and more open. Here’s what to consider when shopping for a quartz worktop:
- Size: Always measure your space before purchasing a worktop. Account for the overall dimensions of your favourite slabs, including the thickness.
- Budget: Quartz worktops vary dramatically in price. Before visiting our showroom, think through how much you’re willing to spend. Let our team know your budget, and we’ll guide you to the best options. Remember, we offer financing!
- Durability: How do you use your kitchen? Is the space decorative, or do you cook family meals every day? If your kitchen gets a lot of traffic, opt for a worktop that can withstand lots of wear and tear.
Why Quartz Is the Gold Standard
Quartz makes the perfect Shaker-style kitchen worktop for a whole slew of reasons. The team at Prestige Granite & Marble would be glad to guide you through our product selection and help you choose the quartz worktop best suited to you. Note these benefits of quartz:
- Highly durable
- Available in lots of colours and patterns
- Hygienic (bacteria-resistant)
- Resistant to scratches and cracks
- Resistant against water damage and mould growth
- Easy to maintain
Caring for Your Quartz Worktop
Easy maintenance is a key benefit of quartz worktops. Should you choose these beautiful, durable surfaces, you won’t need to worry about constant maintenance and periodic sealing. Keeping your worktops in excellent shape is simple when you follow these steps:
- Use a mild detergent and warm water to gently clean the worktop
- Dry the surface thoroughly with a soft cloth
- Never use abrasive chemical cleaners, as they can damage the surface
- Clean up spills right after they happen
- Get a chopping board and avoid using sharp utensils directly on the worktop
Get More Inspiration at Our Showroom
Do you have a vision of your perfect Shaker-style kitchen? Maybe you still need some inspiration to choose the best quartz worktops. Whatever the case for you, Prestige Granite & Marble welcomes you to our showroom. We serve customers throughout the North West, and we would be glad to help you complete your stunning kitchen design. Contact us to learn more about our services.